Come Alive is a 4 week Bible study that uses the songs from The Greatest Showman as a jumping off point to talk about God’s abundant life. The theme verse is John 10:10 and each week adds to the theme that God calls us to not just live, but to thrive and have an abundant life. Themes include being satisfied with God, being honest with who you are, and God’s grace when we mess up. While this Bible study was designed for teenagers and youth groups it would easily fit in an adult setting as well.
- Week Bible Study PDF
- Title Graphic
- Full Page Graphic
- Background Graphic
- Black and White Header Graphic
- Student Handout for Each Lesson
Week 1: Come Alive
- Song: Come Alive
- Bible Passage: John 10:10
- Overview: This Bible study looks at the idea that Jesus promises us not just eternal life in heaven, but abundant life that starts right now. It uses the cheesy acrostic of ZOMBIE to demonstrate what it looks like when Christians don’t live that abundant life and offers 3 observations on what the abundant life really is.
Week 2: Never Enough
- Song: Greatest Show & Never Enough
- Bible Passage: Acts 17:24–28
- Overview: The crux of this whole movie is this song “Never Enough.” In the movie Barnum realizes that what actually is enough for him is his family. In our Bible study we are going to examine what it means to find your “enough” in Christ. No matter how much stuff we fill our life with it will never be enough until we turn to God.
Week 3: Show Your Scars
- Bible Passage: John 20:19-29
- Song: This is Me
- Overview: “This is Me” quickly became the anthem of this movie. While I think that “Never Enough” is really the theme of the movie this song is a great one to use for teenagers and adults alike to talk about being who you are and showing your true self scars and all.
Week 4: Home Again
- Song: From Now On
- Bible Passage: Ecclesiastes 1:12–2:11; Luke 15:11–32
- Overview: Honestly this wasn’t one of my original planned studies, but my students were enjoying the study so much I added one more week. In the end this is a nice way to wrap up the study with a focus on realizing that running from God leads to pain and that God is waiting to welcome you
- back home again.
A Note about the Songs:
It is totally possible to teach these lessons without showing
parts of the movie, but watching the songs is much of the fun.
In order to legally show clips from The Greatest Showman you
will need permission from the studio to play the video in a
public setting. You can do this by contacting the studio and
hoping they agree or you can go through the CVLI and get a
license to play movies for your church which is a much easier
You will need to purchase a license subscription and once
you do you will be able to download some clips directly from
Screenvue. You will also be able to show clips from a DVD legally.
For more information check out the link below.