Good Friday Ideas: Weighted
- You will need 1 of these fishing weights for every person in your group. If you have the budget you can get bigger weights.
- Give them to volunteers so they can be passed out quickly in your message.
- You will also need some ankle weights and a heavy backpack to put on for demonstration.
- Read: Galatians 3:10–13
Galatians 3:10-13 10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, because it is written: Everyone who does not continue doing everything written in the book of the law is cursed. 11 Now it is clear that no one is justified before God by the law, because the righteous will live by faith. 12 But the law is not based on faith; instead, the one who does these things will live by them. 13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, because it is written: Everyone who is hung on a tree is cursed.
- Point out that all of us are under were the curse of sin. No matter how much we tried to be righteous we ultimately fell short of the glory of God. That sin was like a weight holding us down no matter where we tried to go or what we tried to do.
- Put on the ankle weights and the backpack.
- As you are putting them on describe the way that our sins such a lying, gossiping, adultery, and the like are all weights that we carry with us.
- This weight of guilt makes life difficult, but that isn’t how we are supposed to live.
- Jesus took the weight of our sin. He took the curse of our sin and carried it on the cross.
- Have volunteers pass out the weights.
- For just a moment I want you to hold this weight in your hand and think about the weight of your sin.
- If you are a Christian then spend the next few moments thanking Jesus for carrying your sin.
- If you are not a Christian spend time right now asking Jesus to carry the weight of your sin and thank Him for bearing the curse of sin for you.
- After 45 seconds or so close with a time of prayer.