One of the staple games in my youth group is two people fighting it out with foam swords. Last night I was talking about how we shouldn’t be surprised when we are opposed as Christians so I thought we would play sword fight yet again and ask if anyone was shocked to see the other person trying to hit them with a sword. Of course they wouldn’t that is just the nature of the game. In the same way we shouldn’t be shocked when we are living for God and face opposition. That is just the nature of life.
Anyway, I had this planned and then at 3:30 realized I hadn’t picked up any new swords (foam swords last about as long as pizza at an average youth group meeting). I was trying to think of some way to have a similar type match-up but without swords and remembered something that I saw on Unbeatable Banzuke. The idea was two people in a cage trying to grab these rods that were attached to their opponents. I thought that would be fun to do. Here is how we did it:
- Arrange your group in a circle. Make sure there is enough space inside the circle for the contestants
- Choose two contestants
- Place the contestants inside the circle 8 or 9 steps apart facing each other.
- Put two stick notes on the back of each contestant. You may want to use different colors for each contestant (we have one person as pink notes and the other one as yellow notes).
- When you give the signal the first person to pull off both of their opponents sticky notes is the winner.
- If a note falls off on its own and the opponent grabs it then it counts as a if it was grabbed off their back. If the owner of the note grabs it (he or she grabs their own note that has fallen off) then the note is replaced and play begins again.
- You may want to point out before the game starts that it is more about positioning than punching.